Photo Credit: Food Network
For The Spice Rub:
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel seed toasted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
For The Chips:
- 1 pound russet potatoes sliced thin on a mandoline
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- This recipe originally appeared on Giada Entertains: Pre-Game Burger Bash.
For the cacciatore rub:
- Mix together the ground fennel, salt, onion powder, oregano and paprika in a small bowl. Set aside.
For the chips:
- Place the sliced potatoes in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Let sit for 3 minutes. Drain well and cover with fresh cold water. Season with the salt and let sit for at least 1 hour or up to overnight at room temperature.
- Heat 2 inches oil in a large Dutch oven to 350 degrees F. Line a tray with paper towels and set aside.
- Drain the chips well and dry very well with paper towels. Working in batches, fry the chips until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes. Remove the fried potatoes to the lined tray and season with a pinch of the cacciatore rub. Transfer to a large bowl. Continue with the remaining chips, seasoning and adding to the bowl as you go.
- Toss the potatoes well to coat and serve.