Photo Credit: Lauren Volo
A delicious twist on the typical cocktail shrimp appetizer, this is perfect for the holidays or year-round entertaining.
Buffalo Grilled Shrimp with Goat Cheese Dipping Sauce
For the Shrimp:
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 1/4 cup hot sauce such as Frank's, plus 2 tablespoons for serving
- 4 garlic cloves smashed and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest from 1 large lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup heavy cream at room temperature
- 1/3 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Prepare the shrimp: In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with 1/4 cup of the hot sauce, garlic, lemon zest, and oil. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and shallot and saute the shallot for about 2 minutes. Add the cumin and paprika and continue to cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 1 more minute. Add the heavy cream and salt. Reduce the heat to low and simmer that mixture for about 5 minutes. It should thicken slightly. Now whisk in the goat cheese a little at a time until fully incorporated and smooth. Remove from the heat and allow the sauce to cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the chives and parsley.
- Preheat your grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Season the shrimp with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and grill for about 2 to 3 minutes per side or until opaque all the way through. Remove to a clean bowl and toss with the remaining 2 tablespoons of hot sauce. Serve with the goat cheese dipping sauce.