This feel good recipe is an especially good option if you like breakfast-for-dinner, or for a weekend breakfast.
Breakfast Tofu Scramble
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper diced 1/3 inch
- 2 shallots sliced into rings
- 1 Serrano chili diced small
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 12- ounce container of extra-firm tofu drained and dried well with paper towels
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 15- ounce can of black beans drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup cilantro roughly chopped
- Heat a medium sauté pan over medium high heat. When hot, add the oil to the pan along with the bell pepper, shallots, and chili. Sauté until the peppers begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Crumble the tofu into the pan and mix with a rubber spatula to combine. Add the cayenne, turmeric, cumin, coriander, and salt, and cook for an additional 4 minutes, stirring often to distribute the spices evenly. Stir in the black beans and cook for another 2 minutes, or until the beans are heated through. Sprinkle with the cilantro and serve.