My panko-crusted zucchini sticks have the same crunchy goodness as deep-fried mozzarella sticks, but because they’re baked instead of fried, they’re a guilt-free snack; dunk them in a bowl of marinara instead of sugary barbecue sauce or ketchup and you’ll be home free.
"Not-So-Fried" Zucchini That's Better Than The Original
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup panko Japanese bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs whites only
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini cut into 3-inch-long by 1/2-inch-wide strips
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Stir the Parmesan cheese, panko, oregano, and salt in a medium bowl to blend.
- In another medium bowl, whisk the egg whites and olive oil to blend. Working in batches, dip the zucchini in the egg mixture to coat completely and allow the excess egg to drip back into the bowl. Coat the zucchini in the cheese mixture, patting to adhere and coat completely.
- Place the zucchini strips on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. For a final browning, broil for 5 minutes on the middle shelf of the broiler. Arrange the zucchini on a platter and serve.