Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
A strata is one of our favorite brunch dishes – not just because they’re generally delicious, but because you can make them ahead of time! This bagel Caprese strata is no exception. It features all of the flavors of a Caprese salad in the form of broiled cherry tomatoes, pesto and melty mozzrella – but the star of the dish is 100% Thomas’ bagels. Not only is it a perfect choice for brunch – a bagel is the king of breakfast breads, after all – but they get impossibly fluffy in the oven as they soak up the egg mixture.
Prep it 100% the day before, and when it’s time to eat in the morning, just pop it in the oven until it’s bubbly and golden brown. Buon appetito!
Bagel Caprese Strata
For the tomatoes:
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes halved
- 3 cloves garlic smashed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Strata:
- 2 cups whole milk at room temperature
- 10 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 plain bagels, such as Thomas', cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup store bought pesto
- This post is brought to you in partnership with Thomas'.
- Preheat the broiler to high.
- On a rimmed baking sheet spread the cherry tomatoes evenly over the pan. Add the garlic, salt and olive oil and toss to coat evenly. Place under the preheated broiler for 8 minutes or until blistered and beginning to pop. Set aside to cool slightly.
- While the tomatoes broil, in a large bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and salt until smooth. Add the bagel pieces and toss well to coat evenly in the batter
- Oil a 9x13 inch baking dish with the olive oil. Layer in half of the soaked bagels evenly over the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with half of the tomatoes and half of the shredded mozzarella. Dollop evenly with half of the pesto. Top with the remaining bagel and egg mixture, tomatoes and dollop with the remaining pesto. Sprinkle the top with the remaining shredded mozzarella. Wrap tightly and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Unwrap the strata and cover loosely with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover the strata and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until the center is set and the top is golden brown. Allow the strata to rest for 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.