Photo Credit: Ray Kachatorian
Avocado Hummus with Spiced Lime Pita Chips
For the Pita Chips:
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest of 2 large limes
- 1 teaspoon chili or dried chipotle powder
- 2 whole wheat or plain pita breads split in half horizontally
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Hummus:
- 1 large 12-ounce avocado, seeded, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 packed cup arugula
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice from 1/2 large lemon
- 1 clove garlic smashed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus extra for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus extra for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- For the Pita chips: Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lime zest and chili powder. Using a pastry brush, brush the mixture on both sides of the bread halves. Sprinkle the breads with salt and pepper. Cut each bread half into 8 wedges and place on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes until crisp and golden.
- For the hummus: In the bowl of a food processor, combine the avocado, arugula, beans, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pulse until the mixture is coarsely chopped. With the machine running, gradually add 2 tablespoons of olive oil until the mixture is creamy. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spoon the hummus into a serving bowl and serve the pita chips alongside.