Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
One really good reason to make extra risotto on purpose? Arancini! You can use pretty much any leftover risotto for the base of this recipe, but for this one, I used my Mushroom Risotto with Peas.
Arancini Di Riso
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 2 large eggs beaten to blend
- 2 cups Risotto with Mushrooms and Peas
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 cups dried Italian-style bread crumbs
- 2 ounces mozzarella cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Pour enough oil in a heavy large saucepan to reach the depth of 3 inches. Heat the oil over medium heat to 350 degrees F.
- Stir the eggs, risotto, Parmesan, and 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs in a large bowl to combine. Place the remaining breadcrumbs in a medium bowl. Using about 2 tablespoons of the risotto mixture for each, form the risotto mixture into 1 3/4-inch-diameter balls. Insert 1 cube of mozzarella into the center of each ball. Roll the balls in the bread crumbs to coat.
- Working in batches, add the rice balls to the hot ail and cook until brown and heated through, turning them as necessary, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the rice balls to paper towels to drain. Season with salt. Let rest 2 minutes. Serve hot.