Giada De Laurentiis
- 1/4 cup fine bread crumbs
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 garlic clove (smashed and peeled)
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (for garnish)
- This recipe originally appeared in Giada's Italy.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the bread crumbs, eggs, and 1 ‚ÅÑ 4 teaspoon of the salt. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the broth, thyme, garlic, and the remaining 3‚ÅÑ 4 teaspoon salt with 2 cups of water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook gently for 5 minutes. Remove the thyme and garlic clove with a slotted spoon and discard. With the broth at a gentle simmer, whisk in the Parmigiano-Reggiano. When the cheese has melted, stir the liquid so that it swirls.
- Pour the egg mixture into the center of the swirling liquid and let it cook for 30 seconds, then give it a stir with a fork to break it up a bit. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve garnished with the basil.